Guernsey Bar Billiards Association – Inter Insular Press Report


Guernsey took the inter insular team trophy for the first time in seven years in an exciting match of fluctuating fortunes at St Martins hotel on Saturday, and Trevor Gallienne completed a successful evening by capturing his fourth Channel Islands championship.


On a fast table requiring precise shot making the team match began with a low-key game that saw Terry Kenny beaten by Jersey’s Harry Barbet by 2,490 to 2,050.


Debutant Darren Ogier then had the unenviable task of facing twice British open champion Steve Ahier, who although not at his best, recorded a break of 3,380 in winning by 7,270 to 310.


At 2-0 down it looked as if the Sarnian’s were heading for yet another defeat but Paul Dyer had other ideas and knuckled down to his task to open with a fine break of 7,910 on his way to victory over Jersey champion Nick Barnett.


Dyer was followed to the table by his Layabouts teammate Matt Ogier who was drawn against Jersey Captain Nigel Ryall. Ryall made little use of his opening break and Ogier took his chance in superb fashion with a lifetime best break of 12,240.


The match now level at two games all Guernsey had a valuable aggregate lead of nearly nine thousand points. Bob Chapple then lost by 1,770 to 6,670 to the consistent Graham Bisson but with Guernsey still having the aggregate lead the match would go to the winner of the final game.


Jersey’s Adam Le Blond had the opening break but came to a rapid halt, the pressure was on but such a situation was tailor made for team captain Gallienne and he did not disappoint, with a carefully complied break of 7,480 taking him and the team to victory. With three games apiece Guernsey had won with an aggregate score of 31,940 to 20,740.


Gallienne was back on the table against Barnett for the individual title, Barnett won the toss and gave Gallienne the first break which he used to good effect with a break of 10,450 giving him a lead of 11,500 to 320 at the half way stage, the deficit was well within Barnett’s reach but he could only open the second game with 1,550. Gallienne got back into his stride following a further couple of visits to the table and took the game by 17,970 to 2,770 to seal the double for the Sarnians.