The History

Following Hitler’s directive of October 1941, that the Channel Islands should be turned into a naval fortress, it was soon apparent that the navy alone would be unable to fulfill all its commitments and so as a temporary measure, the army was called upon to help bring the coastal artillery up to strength.

However the replacement navy weapons never arrived  and the army batteries remained operational up until liberation in 1945.

 Batterie Generaloberst Dollmann was manned by the 15th Battery of the IV Battalion of the 1265 Artillery Regiment and was operational by December 1941.

The Batterie was equipped with 4 x 22cm K532(f) guns, which had a range of 22 kilometres, housed in separate pits and controlled via the Lietstand (command centre) visible adjacent to the car park at the end of this headland.

The guns were originally cannon de 220L MLE 1917 Schneider manufactured during WW1 for the French Army. When in 1940 the German Army overran France they were captured and later re-deployed for coastal defence.After liberation in 1945, the guns remained in position until scrapped and the emplacements backfilled and landscaped in 1948.