Education - Tourette Syndrome Support in the UK

  Education UK -  Links     Education & Tourette Syndrome - Links (including information for educators)


Letter to Schools - send a letter to your local schools


Most children with Tourette Syndrome do well in mainstream education - indeed many are high achievers.  But that is not to say they don't have some problems.  


For other children, accommodations need to be made in their mainstream school.  For a minority, transfering to a school catering for children with Special Educational Needs is the best option.  Some parents opt to homeschool their children


Problems vary from child to child but may be tic-related, or due to anxiety or attentional problems etc.  Many children with TS suppress their tics at school, which demands concentration - the result of which is that they often miss out on, at least parts of,  the lesson.   


Sometimes, a child at school will need additional help with educational problems.  Children with TS, often have other associated disorders which can interfere with the child's education.  Initially, speak with the child's teacher - it's imperative that you get the teachers on side.  As we all know, TS can be very misunderstood.  Teachers, like the rest of the world, often know and understand very little about TS.  Perhaps all that is needed is an explanation - of TS, but most importantly, of your child's TS.  Each child is different.  For us, it proved most helpful to write an account of my son's particular strengths and difficulties.  It's just as important to emphasise the child's talents, as their problems.  (Children with TS are often gifted and talented - it's sometimes easy for onlookers to only see the difficulties, and not the positives.)  The TSA UK publish literature and have videos to help educate the school staff (and the child's peers), although the teachers may tend to pick up on the most severe symptoms - which your child may not experience.  Individualise the information that you give the school.   Having the teachers and other school staff on your child's side - having their support and understanding - may be all you need to do.  See Letter to Schools - sample letter.  Your TS specialist could also become involved - either by writing to the school, or visiting the school.


Once the school are aware of any problems, there are additional measures they can take, such as an extra classroom assistant, extra time during timed tests, time out of the classroom as a break for the child (and perhaps for others in the classroom if tics are disruptive), lesser amounts of homework but covering the same amount of the required syllabus, taking exams in a separate room or using computers rather than writing by hand.


However, if your child's symptoms are causing great concern, and/or if the school prove unsympathetic, then there are other options. Contact your Local Education Authority and let them know that you believe your child's educational needs are not being met.  You may request a Statement of Educational Needs - the process of which is outlined below.




There are 3 (reduced from 5) stages in the Statementing process, depending on the level of support required in school.

A team of professionals will need to become involved and agree the help required.  They will feedback to you, the parents.   The parents will be invited to attend meetings with all those involved.  The result of this process should be that the family is able to access the most appropriate education or school for the child.  This may mean extra help in the present school.  It may mean a personal assistant teacher for the child in the mainstream school, or perhaps a place at a special school.  Sometimes the LEA (Local Education Authority) decides not to issue a “Statement”, but will issue a “note in lieu of Statement”.


Stage 1

The teacher discusses their concern with you, the parents. 

Stage 2

If the school assesses your child as having a particular concern, they may involve the school’s special needs co-ordinator.  The school should discuss an Individual Education Plan (IEP) with you, and clarify which targets are being set, and the extra support required.

Outside help, such as an educational psychologist may be brought in.   Other professionals such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, doctors and specialist teachers may also be involved.  The IEP will become more specific about the help your child requires. 

 Stage 3

There may be a Multi-Professional Assessment (MPA), when everyone (including the parents) meets together to discuss your child.  You may request this at stages 2  if you feel your child’s needs are not being met, by contacting the Local Education Authority. 

The Education Authority must then decide whether to issue a statement.   You will receive a copy of the draft statement.  You can challenge the draft or appeal if no statement is issued.  

In the first 2 stages, the child will almost always remain in the mainstream school.  

There are regular reviews at all stages, in which you are invited to participate. 


More information about the statementing process from the HMSO Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001


The Tourette Syndrome (UK) Association will be able to offer other advice and resources.  Contact information  TSA  page.    



Professor Mary Robertson, with Amber Carroll, have completed a new book (year 2000) primarily for Teachers.  ("Resource Materials for Teachers")   Titled "Tourette Syndrome.  A Practical Guide for Teachers, Parents and Carers". 

The authors:  discuss clinical descriptions and medical treatment;   advise on diagnosis, identification and assessment in the classroom;  provide a manageable multi-disciplinary strategies for application within a school;  respond to the learning, emotional and behavioural difficulties pupils may experience and the implications for staff and others.  Order from the Books page      A must have book!










Education Support (E-Mail)  [email protected]   (help & advice for TS and/or ADHD in schools)

HMSO Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001

DFES      A-Z of Statements

DE Parents  -  Special Educational Needs

ActionASG   -  The Statementing Process

The Child with a general Learning Disability RCPsych Factsheet (UK)

Children who do not go to School  RCPsych Factsheet (UK)

Specific Learning Disabilities  RCPsych Factsheet (UK)

Special Needs UK

BBC Education  -   Special Needs

Bolton Data - challenging segregated education

Education - Special Needs  Guardian Unlimited

Statementing Q & As   UK Statementing & Special Educational Needs

IPSEA UK  Independent Panel for Special Education Advice

Advisory Centre for Education  UK  

Anti-Bullying Campaign UK

The Emotional Cost of Bullying  RCPsych (UK)   UK

The Parents Centre - Dept. for Education & Employment

Special Educational Needs - DFEE

Department for Education and Skills - the Parents Centre

Special Educational Needs Support Service

National Association for Special Educational Needs (NASEN)

SEN - A Parent's Guide     at Channel 4

Choice in Education

Special Educational Needs Legal Services

Education links & info at

List of Special School & PRU Homepages

Education Systems - UK  (BBC)

Home Education Links

The Satellite School

Education Otherwise  (Home Schooling Organisation)

HE-Special-UK   Support for parents home schooling children with special educational needs

Home Education UK

Educate Online


Home Education Advisory Service

Free Range Education

Silencing the Bell   (for young people)

SchoolHouse    Supporting Home Education in Scotland

Home Education Network  -  Ireland

International Home Education

Home Educating highly distractable/ADHD Children


EDUCATION & Tourette Syndrome

Education at TS Plus with information and links for teachers

For Teachers of Children with TS

Modifications for Students with TS, ADHD or OCD

Educating Children with Tourette Syndrome (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader – download free here)

Special Education - What a teacher should know  (click on Tourette Syndrome)

Band-Aids and Blackboards 

OCD at school

TS and the School Nurse

Students with TS

Education Support:  [email protected]

Back to Top

Letter to Schools

 17 March 2002  Date last updated