Evidence of the
gradual extension of the church may be found in the location of the three
washbasins for the
priest to cleanse the communion vessels and for the ceremonial washing of
hands, situated at the south side of any altar). The location of a piscina
behind the present organ console would indicate the former presence of an
altar to the west of where the Chancel arch is; most probably the original
High Altar, before the present Chancel was built. The present High Altar has
an unusually large piscina, and in the Chapel of the Archangels, to the
north of the Chancel, there is a piscina intricately carved in
granite(c.1475-1500). The north aisle and Chapel
were added in two stages in the 13th. century, as can be seen by the
ceiling. Above the pulpit there is a carved dog's head, the mark of a
stonemason. Considerable change was made to the appearance of the church in
1876 during the incumbency of the Rev’d. T. Bell, who was Rector for 50
years. The reordering of the Chancel, re-seating
of the nave, and the mosaic reredos of 1904 is evidence of his influence.
The window in the
Chapel of the Archangels contains its original fifteenth century tracery,
and the glass is from the nineteenth century studio of William Morris: The
main east window above the High Altar is a memorial to John Ingrouille who
was imprisoned in Germany during World War II, and died in a Brussels
hospital before he could reach home. The window at the south west end of the
nave is the work of a local artist, Miss Mary Eilie de Putron, showing the
risen Christ appearing to S. Peter. who is clad in the blue Guernsey and
sailcloth trousers of a local fisherman. The window at the west of the
Baptistry, depicting the Descent of the Holy Spirit on the world, was
designed by our Licensed Reader, Mr. Peter Derham.
There is a ring of six
bells (tenor Bb 6cwt. 2 qtrs. 23 lbs.) which were cast in 1891 using in part
the metal from three mediaeval bells. Visiting bellringers are always
welcome at our practice on Monday evenings.
to the church fabric have included new choir stalls and thatching
candlesticks, made by Guernsey Woodcarvers. A new first
floor choir vestry has been built, occupying a space where, in the
eighteenth century, there was a musicians' gallery. Underneath the stairs
leading to the choir vestry is a simple kitchen facility. In memory of 50th.
anniversary of the liberation a pair of outer doors in oak were provided for
the porch (c.1485).