Vale Church History
Page 3/3

pair of outer doors in oak were provided for the porch (c.1485).

A board at the south west end of the church displaying an incomplete list of incumbents gives some hint of Guernsey church history. At the Reformation in 1585 a French Huguenot minister was appointed (even though the island was a possession of the English Crown - the problem was finding Anglican clergy who could speak French, for which purpose Elizabeth College was founded. For 80 years Calvinism officially held sway until 1662 when Anglicanism was established at the Restoration. Most of the services continued to be in French until after World War 1. Documents of the feudal court date from-z 409, and the Church registers froth 1.580, recordings being mostly in French until 1939.

None of the surviving memorials is of great antiquity, although a recess in one of the flagstones near the entrance to the Chapel of the Archangels shows where a fifteenth century brass has been removed., whilst nearby is an incised inscription dated 1685 in memory of the wife of a former Rector. In the churchyard at the foot of the hill in the north west corner a massive stone tells of a shipwreck at Portinfer and bears a carving of the wreck and a portion of the ship itself embedded in the stonework. On the north slope of the hill a much-worn stone tells of the violent death of Olympe Mahy, who was stabbed through an open window by a passing soldier. A representation of this dramatic event may just be discerned at the head of the stone.


Phone: 01481 246114
Fax: 01481 243323
Email: [email protected]